Creating a legacy of a healthier world for our people and our planet.
Greening our world through education and demonstration.
Taking 3 significant steps towards a smaller footprint.
Welcome to the Berrysmith Foundation
Feeding the world’s burgeoning population is shaping up to be one of the greatest challenges facing mankind. Coupled with this is increasing scientific evidence that our traditional food production methods are causing havoc on our environment and ecosystems.
There has to be a better way. It has to be possible to produce healthy nutritious food for all of the world’s population – without destroying our environment.
Berrysmith Foundation’s aim is to lead the world in the development of sustainable systems that make growing healthy, nutritious food available for virtually everyone – regardless of land availability, climate, soil conditions, location, natural resources or large capital investment.
We believe that New Zealand has the potential to become a global pioneer in the development of such systems, and in doing so, further enhance our international reputation as the premier food producer globally.
Our Top Goals
Sustainable Growing Systems
Research, test, develop and promote growing systems based on the model of a natural ecosystem that can provide genuine sustainable food production on a worldwide basis.
Breakthrough Research & Development
Be the catalyst for ground breaking and scientifically proven research into sustainable food growing solution.
Raise Awareness & Understanding
…of health, well being and sustainability. Play a leading role in raising the awareness of the benefits healthy, nutritious food can have on our population especially through growing food in ways that have minimal impact on the environment.
Food Production without Compromising
Foster and promote unique intellectual capital that solves long time systemic inefficiencies in traditional growing methods such as cost of production, large scale use of land, depletion of natural resources (e.g. water tables), contamination of surrounding environment from waste by-products and chemicals.
Sustainable Solutions that can be ‘Sealed’
Develop commercially viable (sustainable) food growing systems that make it possible to feed the world regardless of the season, region, climate and availability of natural resources.
Lead the way through Education
Be a powerful voice that leads to a change in awareness, thinking, understanding and behaviour. A new generation of leaders caring for our people and our environment.
Development of the project
The Berrysmith Foundation has progressed its unique vision for the site through engaging a multidisciplined team of professional advisors to provide an innovative and exciting development that maximises the efficient use of the site accentuating its strategic location
- In order to provide for a navigable waterway through the site, an existing 346m farm drain will be naturalised into a meandering natural stream extending for 945m
- A 1.8km long Visitor Tour Loop road will be constructed through the Karaka Eco-Park.
- Two pedestrian boardwalks are planed: a 1,050m (approx.) Wetland boardwalk, and a 510m (approx.) Coastal Boardwalk.
- As part of the operation of the Karaka Eco-Park, the existing farmhouse will be restored to provide a visitor hub, and accommodation for Eco-Park staff (seasonal workers) will be provided for in WWOOF Accommodation
- Areas are also provided for the future aquaponics activity and education centre.
- Additional features provided for within the Karaka Eco-Park are Bird Sanctuary Lookouts, a sheep paddock, an organic orchard, village green, a native bushwalk, and parking areas.